- having a muscly physique; often, specif., having muscles so overdeveloped as to result in a stiff, inflexible way of moving
- not flexible or adaptive; rigid
(comparative more musclebound, superlative most musclebound)
- The term musclebound is most often used as a derogatory term. It originated from an erroneous belief that large-muscled men were not as flexible, fast, or physically capable as men who developed their muscles through more traditional athletics. While this might be true in some cases, someone who is inactive and doesn't partake in sports will generally be less flexible. It sometimes carries a connotation of mental or cultural inferiority, in the belief that persons who spend the time necessary to develop a muscular physique must sacrifice time spent developing mental or artistic talent.
- At the same time it has to be acknowledged that top international sportsmen such as tennis or soccer stars do not typically look similar to the pin-ups in mens' body-building magazines. Often they will appear relatively light in build despite having enormous power and endurance.
(comparative more muscle-bound, superlative most muscle-bound)
- Alternative form of musclebound.