The definition of municipal is something related to local government.adjective
An ordinance or rule issued by your local government is an example of a municipal ordinance.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- of or having to do with a city, town, etc. or its local government
- having self-government locally
- Rare of the internal, as distinguished from the international, affairs of a nation
Origin: L municipalis < municeps, inhabitant of a free town < munia, official duties, functions < IE base *mei-, to exchange (> common, mean) + capere, to take (see have)
- municipally adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. Of, relating to, or typical of a municipality.b. Having local self-government.c. Issued on the authority of a local or state government.
- Of or relating to the internal affairs of a nation.
Origin: Latin mūnicipālis, from mūnicipium, town, from mūniceps, citizen : mūnus, public office, duty; see mei-1 in Indo-European roots + capere, to take; see kap- in Indo-European roots.
- mu·nicˈi·pal·ly adverb