municipal[myo̵̅o̅ nis′ə pəl]
- The definition of municipal is something related to local government.
An ordinance or rule issued by your local government is an example of a municipal ordinance.
- of or having to do with a city, town, etc. or its local government
- having self-government locally
- Rare of the internal, as distinguished from the international, affairs of a nation
Origin of municipalClassical Latin municipalis ; from municeps, inhabitant of a free town ; from munia, official duties, functions ; from Indo-European base an unverified form mei-, to exchange (from source common, mean) + capere, to take (see have)
- a. Of, relating to, or typical of a municipality.b. Having local self-government.c. Issued on the authority of a local or state government.
- Of or relating to the internal affairs of a nation.
Origin of municipalLatin mūnicipālis, from mūnicipium, town, from mūniceps, citizen : mūnus, public office, duty; see mei-1 in Indo-European roots + capere, to take; see kap- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more municipal, superlative most municipal)
- (finance) A financial instrument issued by a municipality.