- Linguis. an arbitrary unit of syllabic length
- Prosody the unit of metrical time, equal to the ordinary short syllable, usually indicated by a breve (?)
Origin of moraL, delay: see merit
nounpl. mo·rae or mo·ras
- The minimal unit of metrical time in quantitative verse, equal to the short syllable.
- Linguistics A unit of phonological quantity based on both vowel quantity and the occurrence of consonants within a given syllable.
Origin of moraLatin, pause.
(plural morae or moras)
From Latin mora (“duration of time, delay").
New Latin from a botanical name, perhaps from Tupi.
- Any fish of the genus Mora
- The common mora
- Alternative form of morra (finger-counting game)
From New Latin, perhaps from Old Tupi; compare English mora (“tree of the genus").