An example of monopolize is one person in a conversation not letting anyone else talk; monopolize the conversation.
- to get, have, or exploit a monopoly of
- to take full possession or control of; dominate completely: to monopolize a conversation
transitive verbmo·nop·o·lized, mo·nop·o·liz·ing, mo·nop·o·liz·es
- To acquire or maintain a monopoly of.
- To dominate or use to the exclusion of others: monopolized the conversation.
(third-person singular simple present monopolizes, present participle monopolizing, simple past and past participle monopolized)
- To have a monopoly on something
- To dominate or to get total control of something by excluding everyone else
- "Teachers try not to let any one student monopolize a class discussion."