The definition of monogamous is a person or animal with only one mate.adjective
- A man who does not cheat on his wife is an example of someone who is monogamous.
- The marital relationship is an example of a monogamous relationship.
Variant of monogamy
- the practice or state of being married to only one person at a time
- Rare the practice of marrying only once during life
- Zool. the practice of having only one mate
Origin: Fr monogamie < LL(Ec) monogamia < Gr: see mono- & -gamy
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.