- The definition of monogamous is a person or animal with only one mate.
- A man who does not cheat on his wife is an example of someone who is monogamous.
- The marital relationship is an example of a monogamous relationship.
mono- + -gamous
Variant of monogamy
- the practice or state of being married to only one person at a time
- Rare the practice of marrying only once during life
- Zool. the practice of having only one mate
Origin of monogamyFrench monogamie ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin monogamia ; from Gr: see mono- and amp; -gamy