monoecious[mō nē′s̸həs, mə-]
- The definition of monoecious is a plant or animal with both male and female sexual organs or parts.
- An example of monoecious is an earthworm.
- An example of monoecious is a person with a penis and a vagina.
- An example of monoecious is the dragonfruit plant.
- Bot. having separate male flowers and female flowers on the same plant, as in corn
- Zool. having both male and female reproductive organs in the same individual; hermaphroditic
Origin of monoecious; from mon(o)- + Classical Greek oikos, a house (see eco-) + -ious
- Botany Having unisexual reproductive organs or flowers, with the organs or flowers of both sexes borne on a single plant, as in pines and corn (maize).
- Biology Relating to or exhibiting hermaphroditism; hermaphroditic.
Origin of monoeciousNew Latin Monoecia, class name : mono– + Greek oikiā, dwelling; see weik-1 in Indo-European roots.
From mono- +"Ž -oecious.