The definition of monoecious is a plant or animal with both male and female sexual organs or parts.adjective
- An example of monoecious is an earthworm.
- An example of monoecious is a person with a penis and a vagina.
- An example of monoecious is the dragonfruit plant.
- Bot. having separate male flowers and female flowers on the same plant, as in corn
- Zool. having both male and female reproductive organs in the same individual; hermaphroditic
Origin: < mon(o)- + Gr oikos, a house (see eco-) + -ious
- monoecism noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Botany Having unisexual reproductive organs or flowers, with the organs or flowers of both sexes borne on a single plant, as in corn and pines.
- Biology Relating to or exhibiting hermaphroditism; hermaphroditic.
Origin: New Latin Monoecia, class name : mono- + Greek oikiā, dwelling; see weik-1 in Indo-European roots.
- mo·noeˈcious·ly adverb
- mo·noeˈcism noun
monoecious - Medical Definition
- Having unisexual reproductive organs or flowers, with the organs or flowers of both sexes carried on a single plant, as in corn.
monoecious - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.