Variant of monad
- a unit; something simple and indivisible
- any simple, single-celled organism, specif., a simple type of flagellated protozoan or protist
- any of the four nuclei formed at the completion of meiosis
- Chem. a monovalent atom, element, or radical
- Philos. an entity or elementary being thought of as a microcosm or ultimate unit
Origin: LL monas (gen. monadis) from Glassical Greek monas (gen. monados), a unit, unity from monos, alone: see mono-
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.