Variant of middle
- halfway between two given points, times, limits, etc.; also, equally distant from all sides or extremities; in the center; mean
- in between; intermediate; intervening
- denoting the voice or form of a verb whose subject is represented as acting reflexively, or upon itself: in Greek, such verbs are usually passive in grammatical form
- in or of the middle voice
- Geol. designating a division of a period or a formation between those called Upper and Lower
- designating a stage in language development intermediate between those called Old and Modern: Middle English
Origin: ME middel < OE < midd-, mid + -el, -le
- a point or part halfway between extremes; middle point, part, time, etc.
- something intermediate
- the middle part of the body; waist
- Gram. the middle voice
- middle term
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.