- The definition of metamorphic is characterized or formed by changing.
An example of something metamorphic is a caterpillar turning into a butterfly; a metamorphic animal.
of, characterized by, causing, or formed by metamorphism or metamorphosis
- also met·a·mor·phous Of, relating to, or characterized by metamorphosis.
- Geology Changed in structure or composition as a result of metamorphism. Used of rock.
Origin of metamorphicmetamorph(osis) + –ic.
- (geology) Having been structurally altered as a result of, or resulting from, exposure to intense heat and/or pressure (at the contact zone between colliding plates, for example).
- (mineralogy) A rock that has been changed from its original form by subjection to heat and/or pressure.