(comparative more mercenarily, superlative most mercenarily)
- In a mercenary way, for selfish reason of profit or gain.
Variant of mercenary
- working or done for payment only; motivated by a desire for money or other gain; venal; greedy
- designating a soldier serving for pay in a foreign army; hired
Origin of mercenaryClassical Latin mercenarius ; from merces, pay, wages, akin to merx: see market
- a professional soldier hired to serve in a foreign army
- any person who will do anything for money; hireling