Variant of mellow
- soft, sweet, and juicy because ripe: said of fruit
- full-flavored; matured; not acid or bitter: said of wine, etc.
- full, rich, soft, and pure; not harsh: said of sound, light, color, weather, etc.
- moist and rich; loamy: said of soil
- softened and made gentle, understanding, and sympathetic by age and experience
- Informal genial or convivial, as from drinking liquor
Origin: Middle English melwe, ripe, probably from or akin to Old English melu (see meal), Flemish meluw, soft, mellow
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.