- soft, sweet, and juicy because ripe: said of fruit
- full-flavored; matured; not acid or bitter: said of wine, etc.
- full, rich, soft, and pure; not harsh: said of sound, light, color, weather, etc.
- moist and rich; loamy: said of soil
- softened and made gentle, understanding, and sympathetic by age and experience
- Informal genial or convivial, as from drinking liquor
ME melwe, ripe, prob. < or akin to OE melu (see meal), Fl meluw, soft, mellow
transitive verb, intransitive verb
to make or become mellow