Variant of medicine
- the science and art of diagnosing, treating, curing, and preventing disease, relieving pain, and improving and preserving health
- the branch of this science and art that makes use of drugs, diet, etc., as distinguished esp. from surgery and obstetrics
- any drug or other substance used in treating disease, healing, or relieving pain
- Obsolete a drug or other substance, as a poison, love potion, etc., used for other purposes
- ☆ among North American Indian peoples
- any object, spell, rite, etc. supposed to have natural or supernatural powers as a remedy, preventive, protection, etc.
- magical power
Origin: OFr from Classical Latin medicina from medicus: see medical
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.