- full-grown, as plants or animals
- ripe, as fruits
- fully developed, as a person, a mind, etc.
- fully or highly developed, perfected, worked out, considered, etc.: a mature scheme
- of a state of full development: a person of mature age
- due; payable: said of a note, bond, etc.
- Geol. having reached maximum development of topographical form due to erosion, weathering, etc.: said as of a coastline that is relatively stable
ME < L maturus, seasonable, ripe, mature < IE base *ma-, good, in good time > L Matuta, goddess of dawn
transitive verb matured, maturing
- to bring to full growth or development, or to ripeness
- to develop or work out fully