- a form of social organization in which the mother is recognized as the head of the family or tribe, descent and kinship being traced through the mother
- government, rule, or domination by women
Origin of matriarchymatri- + -archy
- a. A social system in which the mother is head of the family.b. A family, community, or society based on this system or governed by women.
- The collection of women in positions of power, especially in such a social system or community. In all senses also called matriarchate.
- A social system in which the mother is head of household, having authority over men and children.
- A system of government by females (particularly as a kind of polity).
Coined after patriarchy, from Ancient Greek Î¼Î®Ï„Î·Ï (mother) and á¼„ÏÏ‡Ï‰ (I rule)