The seat of government is Maseru, on the left bank of the Caledon, with a population of about ¶000 including some loo Europeans.
Of Maseru, is the oldest mission station in the Territory, having been founded by the Paris Society about 1833.
Long, starting from Maseru crosses the Caledon river and joins the line connecting Bloemfontein and Ladysmith.
Of Maseru, the right bank of the Caledon, and affords a ready means of transport for the cereals raised on the left or Basuto side of the river.
For administrative purposes the Territory is divided into the seven districts of Maseru, Leribe, Mohales Hoek, Berea, Mafeteng, Quthing and Qacha's Nek, each of which is subdivided into wards presided over by Basuto chiefs.