the principal mast of a vessel: in a schooner, brig, bark, etc., the mast second from the bow; in a ketch or yawl, the larger mast nearer the bow
- The principal mast of a sailing vessel.
- The taller mast, whether forward or aft, of a two-masted sailing vessel.
- The second mast aft on a sailing ship with three or more masts.
- The lower section of such a mast.
- (nautical) The chief, and tallest mast of a sailing ship that has more than one mast.
- On a ship with three or more masts, it is the second mast from the bow.