Variant of magic
- the use of spells, charms, and rituals in seeking or pretending to cause or control events or to govern certain natural or supernatural forces; occultism
- such spells, charms, etc.
- any mysterious, seemingly inexplicable, or extraordinary power or quality: the magic of love
- the art or performing skill of producing baffling effects or illusions by sleight of hand, concealed apparatus, etc.
Origin: ME magike < OFr magique < L magice < Gr magikē (technē), magic (art), sorcery < magikos, of the Magi: see Magi
- of, produced by, used in, or using magic
- producing extraordinary results, as if by magic or supernatural means
Origin: L magicus < Gr magikos
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.