magic squaremagic square
- A square that contains numbers arranged in equal rows and columns such that the sum of each row, column, and sometimes diagonal is the same.
- A similar square containing letters in particular arrangements that spell out the same word or words.
top: the SATOR letter square
bottom: the number square from Albrecht Dürer's engraving Melencolia I
(plural magic squares)
- (games) A palindromic square word arrangement, usually in the form of a magic amulet.
- Probably the best-known magic square is the 5Ã—5 square consisting of the words ROTAS OPERA TENET AREPO SATOR.
- An n-by-n arrangement of n2 numbers such that the numbers in each row, in each column and along both diagonals all have the same sum.