- The definition of made to order is something custom-made to the exact criteria and specifications of the purchaser.
An example of made to order is a sandwich where you tell the chef what kind of bread, what kind of toppings and what kind of meat to put on it.
A person creating a made to order sandwich.
made-to-order definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- made to conform to the customer's specifications or measurements; custom-made
- perfectly suitable or conformable
made-to-order definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Made in accordance with particular instructions or requirements; custom-made.
- Very suitable: a made-to-order job.
made-to-order - Phrases/Idioms
Also, built to order. Very suitable, as in Her new assignment was built to order for her. In its literal use, this idiom refers to an item fashioned according to particular instructions. [Mid-1900s]