An order of the Lily, with a fleur-de-lis for badge, was established in the Roman states by Pope Paul III.
The simple rampart enclosed a space called lis 1 which contained 1 The term rath was perhaps applied to the rampart, but both lis and rath are used to denote the whole structure.
For the year 1300 some gold and silver spoons marked with the fleur-de-lis, the Paris mark, are mentioned.
When, in 1154, Aquitaine passed to the English crown, this counterseal disappeared, and eventually in subsequent reigns a fleur-de-lis or the shield of arms of France took its place.
Cowbridge (Pontyfon) and Ludchurch (Eglwys Llwyd), others are of direct external origin, as Bishopstone, Flemingstone, Butter Hill, Briton Ferry, Manselfield, &c. Names derived straight from an Anglo-Norman source are rare; Beaupre, Beaumaris, Beaufort, Fleur-de-Lis, Roche, may be cited as examples of such.