lima beanli·ma bean
- a common variety of bean (Phaseolus limensis), with creamy flowers and broad pods
- the broad, flat, nutritious seed of this plant
Origin of lima beanafter Lima: from being native to tropical America
- Any of several varieties of a tropical American plant (Phaseolus lunatus) having flat pods containing large light-green or white edible seeds.
- A seed of this plant. Also called In both senses also called regionally butter bean .
Origin of lima beanAfter Lima Peru
(plural Lima beans)
- Alternative form of lima bean.