- a rope or line for saving life, as one thrown to a person in the water
- any rope strung along or above a vessel's weather deck to provide a handhold as in rough weather
- the rope by means of which a diver is raised and lowered, used by the diver for signaling
- Palmistry a line in the palm of the hand, curving about the base of the thumb, that reveals facts about a person's life
- a commercial, esp. maritime, route of great importance
- a route that is the only one over which supplies can be transported to a certain place
- someone or something called upon in time of need
- a. An anchored line thrown as a support to someone falling or drowning.b. A line shot to a ship in distress.c. A line used to raise and lower deep-sea divers.
- a. A means or route by which necessary supplies are transported.b. One that is or is regarded as a source of salvation in a crisis.
- A diagonal line crossing the palm of the hand and believed to indicate the length and major events of one's life.