- The definition of lexical is something that relates to vocabulary or the words which make up a language.
An example of lexical used as an adjective is the phrase lexical similarity which means words that appear to be similar to other words.
- of a vocabulary, or stock of words, as that of a language; specif., of words as isolated items of vocabulary rather than elements in a grammatical structure
- of, or having the nature of, a lexicon or lexicography
Origin of lexicalModern Latin lexicalis ; from Classical Greek lexikon, lexicon
- Of or relating to the vocabulary, words, or morphemes of a language.
- Of or relating to lexicography or a lexicon.
Origin of lexicallexic(on) + –al1.