- The definition of lexical is something that relates to vocabulary or the words which make up a language.
An example of lexical used as an adjective is the phrase lexical similarity which means words that appear to be similar to other words.
lexical definition by Webster's New World
- of a vocabulary, or stock of words, as that of a language; specif., of words as isolated items of vocabulary rather than elements in a grammatical structure
- of, or having the nature of, a lexicon or lexicography
Origin: Modern Latin lexicalis ; from Classical Greek lexikon, lexicon
lexical definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of or relating to the vocabulary, words, or morphemes of a language.
- Of or relating to lexicography or a lexicon.
Origin: lexic(on) + -al1.
- lexˌi·calˈi·ty noun
- lexˈi·cal·ly adverb