- alt. compar. of little
- smaller, less, or less important
Origin of lesserless + -er
adjectiveA comparative of little
- Smaller in amount, value, or importance, especially in a comparison between two things: chose the lesser evil.
- Of a smaller size than other, similar forms: the lesser anteater.
adverbA comparative of little
Less. Used before a participle: a lesser-known writer.
One that is lower in importance, rank, magnitude, or degree: the lesser of two evils.
Origin of lesserMiddle English from lesse less ; see less .
- a thing that is of smaller size, value, importance etc.
- the lesser of two evils
- The greater sand hills increasingly do not migrate, but almost all lessers do.
less +"Ž -er