- The definition of lesbian is something related to homosexual women or women who feel sexual attraction to other women.
A marriage between two women is an example of a marriage that would be described as a lesbian marriage.
- Lesbian is defined as a homosexual woman, or a woman who is sexually attracted to other women.
An example of a lesbian is a woman who has a girlfriend and who engages in sexual behavior with that girlfriend.
- of Lesbos or its people or culture
Origin of lesbianfrom the eroticism or homosexuality attributed to Sappho and her followers on Lesbos of homosexuality between women
Origin of lesbianClassical Latin Lesbius ; from Classical Greek Lesbios
- a person born or living on Lesbos
- a homosexual woman
Origin of lesbianAfter Lesbos, home of Sappho, known for her homoerotic poetry.
- A native or inhabitant of Lesbos.
- The ancient Greek dialect of Lesbos.
Origin of LesbianFrom Latin Lesbius, from Greek Lesbios, from Lesbos.
(comparative more lesbian, superlative most lesbian)
- (of a woman) Homosexual; preferring female romantic or sexual partners.
- She is lesbian.
- (of a romantic or sexual act or relationship) Between two women; homosexual.
- She's involved in a lesbian relationship.
- Lesbian marriage is still illegal in some nations.
- (especially of an institution or group) Intended for lesbians.
- We're going to a lesbian bar tonight.
- Some residents of Lesbos (Lesvos) prefer to be called Lesviots.
(comparative more Lesbian, superlative most Lesbian)
The sense "homosexual" is now usually not capitalized; see lesbian. Compare gay, which is sometimes capitalized Gay though there is no reason for it to be according to the English language's usual rules for capitalization.