- The definition of lesbian is something related to homosexual women or women who feel sexual attraction to other women.
A marriage between two women is an example of a marriage that would be described as a lesbian marriage.
- Lesbian is defined as a homosexual woman, or a woman who is sexually attracted to other women.
An example of a lesbian is a woman who has a girlfriend and who engages in sexual behavior with that girlfriend.
- of Lesbos or its people or culture
Origin of lesbianfrom the eroticism or homosexuality attributed to Sappho and her followers on Lesbos of homosexuality between women
Origin of lesbianClassical Latin Lesbius ; from Classical Greek Lesbios
- a person born or living on Lesbos
- a homosexual woman
- A native or inhabitant of Lesbos.
- The ancient Greek dialect of Lesbos.
Origin of LesbianFrom Latin Lesbius, from Greek Lesbios, from Lesbos.
Origin of lesbianAfter Lesbos, home of Sappho, known for her homoerotic poetry.
(comparative more lesbian, superlative most lesbian)
- (of a woman) Homosexual; preferring female romantic or sexual partners.
- She is lesbian.
- (of a romantic or sexual act or relationship) Between two women; homosexual.
- She's involved in a lesbian relationship.
- Lesbian marriage is still illegal in some nations.
- (especially of an institution or group) Intended for lesbians.
- We're going to a lesbian bar tonight.
- Some residents of Lesbos (Lesvos) prefer to be called Lesviots.
(comparative more Lesbian, superlative most Lesbian)
The sense "homosexual" is now usually not capitalized; see lesbian. Compare gay, which is sometimes capitalized Gay though there is no reason for it to be according to the English language's usual rules for capitalization.