- a woman of the laity; woman not a nun, not a member of the clergy, etc.
- a woman not belonging to or skilled in a given profession
- A woman who is not a cleric.
- A woman who is a nonprofessional in a given field.
(plural laywomen) (Specifically female form of layperson, layman.)
- A woman who is a layperson, one who has not taken a religious oath (such as becoming a nun).
- by analogy, a woman who is not a professional in a given field
- Carmen is not a professional anthropologist, but strictly a laywoman.