- a method of buying in which a deposit is made on something that is then set aside for delivery only after it is paid for in full, as by monthly payments
- the state of an item thus set asidechiefly in the phrase in layaway
- A payment plan in which a buyer reserves an article of merchandise by placing a deposit with the retailer until the balance is paid in full: bought a suit on layaway.
- An article reserved under such a plan.
- Things which have had a deposit placed on them and which the owner (generally a store) has agreed to hold for the customer and accept full payment at a later time.
- The system of accepting a deposit and holding for a customer to complete purchase.
(third-person singular simple present layaways, present participle layawaying, simple past and past participle layawayed)
- To place items on hold with a deposit at a merchant's.