- Shortly after the battle of Killiecrankie (1689), the Cameronian regiment, enrolled in the same year (afterwards the 26th Foot), was despatched to hold Dunkeld prior to another invasion of the Highlands.
- Among the immediate attractions are the pass of Killiecrankie, the falls of Tummel, the exquisite prospect called "Queen's View" (named after Queen Victoria) and Loch Tummel, 8 m.
- The body of Viscount Dundee, conveyed hither from the battlefield of Killiecrankie, was buried in the church of Old Blair, in which a monument was erected to his memory in 1889 by the 7th duke of Atholl.
- The castle of Edinburgh was surrendered by Gordon, and Balcarres was put in that prison where, according to legend, he was visited by the wraith of Dundee, on the night of the battle of Killiecrankie.
- In 1681 he was knighted by Charles II., and in July 1689 he was with Viscount Dundee at Killiecrankie.