capital of Sudan, on the Nile
The capital of Sudan, in the east-central part of the country at the confluence of the Blue Nile and the White Nile. Founded c. 1821 as an Egyptian army camp, it was destroyed by Mahdists in 1885. Lord Kitchener retook the city in 1898 and oversaw its rebuilding.
- Capital of the Sudan.
Possibly from Arabic خرطوم (Ḫarṭūm, “elephant trunk”), but more likely from Arabic قرطم (Qurṭum, “safflower”).