city in W European Russia, on the Baltic Sea: part of an exclave surrounded by Poland & Lithuania
A city of extreme western Russia in an exclave on the Baltic Sea between Poland and Lithuania. Founded in 1255 and originally named Königsberg, it was an important Hanseatic port and eventually became the capital of East Prussia. Transferred to the USSR in 1945, it was renamed Kaliningrad in 1946.x
- A city, formerly called Königsberg, located in what is now the Kaliningrad Oblast of Russia.
Named for Mikhail Ivanovich Kalinin.