The capital and largest city of Afghanistan, in the eastern part of the country near the border with Pakistan on the Kabul River, about 700 km (435 mi) long. Strategically located and more than 3,000 years old, the city became the capital of Afghanistan in the 1700s.x
- The capital of Afghanistan.
- But when Ahmad Shah returned to Kabul the Sikhs rose once more and re-established their religion.
- Nor did he, when this was accomplished, again strike directly at Bactria, but made a wide turning movement through Seistan over Kandahar into the Kabul valley.
- By the winter of 329-328 Alexander had reached the Kabul valley at the foot of the Paropamisadae (Hindu Kush).
- The ordinarily received chronology makes Alexander reach the Kabul valley in the winter of 330-329.
- Whilst the heavier troops moved down the Kabul valley to Pencelaotis (Charsadda) under Perdiccas and Hephaestion, Alexander with a body of lighter-armed troops and cavalry pushed up the valleys which join the Kabul from the north - through the regions now known as Bajour, Swat and Buner, inhabited by Indian hill peoples, as fierce then against the western intruder as their Pathan successors are against the British columns.