- the edible, datelike fruit of any of several trees and shrubs (genus Zizyphus) of the buckthorn family, growing in warm climates
- a tree or shrub bearing this fruit
- a jellylike, fruit-flavored lozenge or a gumdrop
Origin of jujubeFrench from Medieval Latin jujuba from Classical Latin zizyphum from Classical Greek zizyphon
- a. A thorny deciduous small tree or shrub (Ziziphus jujuba) native to Asia, widely cultivated for its edible fruit.b. The small sweet greenish to red fruit of this tree. Also called Chinese date .
- Any of various other trees or shrubs of the genus Ziziphus bearing edible fruit.
- A fruit-flavored candy or lozenge.
Origin of jujubeMiddle English jujube fruit from Old French from Medieval Latin jujuba from Latin zizyphum from Greek zizuphon