The definition of a jag is a sharp, tooth like projection, or is slang for uncontrolled actions.noun
- An example of a jag is a tooth on a saw.
- An example of a jag is uncontrolled drinking or crying: a drinking jag or a crying jag.
Jag is defined as to cut into notches or to tear unevenly.verb
An example of jag is to rip a piece of cloth into rough pieces.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- a sharp, toothlike projection or similar indentation
- Archaic a notch or pointed tear, as in cloth
Origin: ME jagge, projecting point < ?
- Dialectal a small load or amount, as of wood or hay
- an intoxicated condition due to liquor or drugs
- a drinking spree
- a period of uncontrolled activity: a crying jag
Origin: < ?
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A sharp projection; a barb.
- a. A hanging flap along the edge of a garment.b. A slash or slit in a garment exposing material of a different color.
- To cut jags in; notch.
- To cut unevenly.
- Scots To jab sharply; prick.
Origin: Middle English jagge.
- jagˈger noun
- jagˈless adjective
- Slang a. A bout of drinking or drug use.b. A period of overindulgence in an activity; a spree: a shopping jag; a crying jag. See Synonyms at binge.
- A small load or portion.
Origin: Origin unknown.