- The definition of a jag is a sharp, tooth like projection, or is slang for uncontrolled actions.
- An example of a jag is a tooth on a saw.
- An example of a jag is uncontrolled drinking or crying: a drinking jag or a crying jag.
- Jag is defined as to cut into notches or to tear unevenly.
An example of jag is to rip a piece of cloth into rough pieces.
jag definition by Webster's New World
- a sharp, toothlike projection or similar indentation
- Archaic a notch or pointed tear, as in cloth
Origin: Middle English jagge, projecting point ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- Dialectal a small load or amount, as of wood or hay
- an intoxicated condition due to liquor or drugs
- a drinking spree
- a period of uncontrolled activity: a crying jag
Origin: ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
jag definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A sharp projection; a barb.
- a. A hanging flap along the edge of a garment.b. A slash or slit in a garment exposing material of a different color.
- To cut jags in; notch.
- To cut unevenly.
- Scots To jab sharply; prick.
Origin: Middle English jagge.
- jagˈger noun
- jagˈless adjective
- Slang a. A bout of drinking or drug use.b. A period of overindulgence in an activity; a spree: a shopping jag; a crying jag. See Synonyms at binge.
- A small load or portion.
Origin: Origin unknown.