- The definition of invert is to turn something upside down or to put something into the opposite direction.
When you turn a cake upside down, this is an example of a situation where you invert.
An inverted child on the playground
invert definition by Webster's New World
- to turn upside down
- to change to the direct opposite; reverse the order, position, direction, etc. of
- to subject to inversion (in various senses)
- Math. to divide 1 by (a given quantity)
Origin: Classical Latin invertere ; from in-, in, to, toward plush vertere, to turn: see verse
- an inverted person or thing
- Psychiatry homosexual: now seldom used
- invertible adjective
invert definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb in·vert·ed, in·vert·ing, in·verts verb, transitive
- To turn inside out or upside down: invert an hourglass.
- To reverse the position, order, or condition of: invert the subject and predicate of a sentence.
- To subject to inversion. See Synonyms at reverse.
- Something inverted.
- Psychology a. One who takes on the gender role of the opposite sex.b. In the theory of Sigmund Freud, a homosexual person. No longer in scientific use.
Origin: Latin invertere : in-, in; see in-2 + vertere, to turn; see wer-2 in Indo-European roots.
- in·vertˈi·ble adjective
invert - Medical Definition
- To turn inside out or upside down.
- To reverse the position, order, or condition of.
- To subject to inversion.