- The definition of intransigent is someone stubborn or unwilling to change his views.
An example of someone who would be described as intransigent is a person who is not going to change his mind about an issue, no matter what.
intransigent definition by Webster's New World
- refusing to compromise or come to an agreement; uncompromising
- that cannot be reconciled
Origin: French intransigeant ; from Spanish intransigente ; from Classical Latin in-, in- plush transigens, present participle of transigere, to come to a settlement, transact
intransigent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Origin: French intransigeant, from Spanish intransigente : in-, not (from Latin; see in-1) + transigente, present participle of transigir, to compromise (from Latin trānsigere, to come to an agreement : trāns-, trans- + agere, to drive; see ag- in Indo-European roots).
- in·tranˈsi·gence, in·tranˈsi·gen·cy noun
- in·tranˈsi·gent noun
- in·tranˈsi·gent·ly adverb