- The definition of interlining is the material between the fabric on the outside of a piece of clothing and the regular lining.
An example of interlining is wool sewn between the nylon and fleece of a winter jacket.
interlining definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- an inner lining put between the outer material and the ordinary lining of a garment
- any fabric used to make such an inner lining
interlining definition by American Heritage Dictionary
An extra lining between the outer fabric and regular lining of a garment.
Variant of interline
transitive verb interlined, interlining
- to write or print between the lines of (a text, document, etc.)
- to insert between the lines: to interline notes on pages
Origin: Middle English enterlynen ; from Midieval Latin interlineare: see inter- and amp; line
of, relating to, or using more than one transportation line or system
- interlineation noun