- The definition of interlining is the material between the fabric on the outside of a piece of clothing and the regular lining.
An example of interlining is wool sewn between the nylon and fleece of a winter jacket.
- an inner lining put between the outer material and the ordinary lining of a garment
- any fabric used to make such an inner lining
An extra lining between the outer fabric and regular lining of a garment.
inter- + lining
Variant of interline
transitive verbinterlined, interlining
- to write or print between the lines of (a text, document, etc.)
- to insert between the lines: to interline notes on pages
Origin of interlineMiddle English enterlynen ; from Medieval Latin interlineare: see inter- and amp; line
of, relating to, or using more than one transportation line or system