- The definition of intelligible is something that makes sense and that can be understood.
Simple and easy step-by-step instructions to help you use a new electronic product are an example of something that would be described as intelligible.
intelligible definition by Webster's New World
- that can be understood; clear; comprehensible
- understandable by the intellect only, not by the senses
Origin: Middle English ; from Classical Latin intelligibilis ; from intelligere: see intellect
intelligible definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Capable of being understood: an intelligible set of directions.
- Capable of being apprehended by the intellect alone.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin intellegibilis, intelligibilis, from intellegere, to perceive; see intelligent.
- in·telˌli·gi·bilˈi·ty, in·telˈli·gi·ble·ness noun
- in·telˈli·gi·bly adverb