intelligible[in tel′i jə bəl]
- The definition of intelligible is something that makes sense and that can be understood.
Simple and easy step-by-step instructions to help you use a new electronic product are an example of something that would be described as intelligible.
- that can be understood; clear; comprehensible
- understandable by the intellect only, not by the senses
Origin of intelligibleMiddle English ; from Classical Latin intelligibilis ; from intelligere: see intellect
- Capable of being understood: an intelligible set of directions.
- Capable of being apprehended by the intellect alone.
Origin of intelligibleMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin intellegibilis, intelligibilis, from intellegere, to perceive; see intelligent.
- in·tel′li·gi·bil′i·ty, in·tel′li·gi·ble·ness
(comparative more intelligible, superlative most intelligible)
From Middle French intelligible, from Old French, from Latin intelligibilis.