- In physical possession; at one's disposal. [from 10th c.]
- Held in the hand. [from 14th c.]
- Pen in hand, I turned back to the letter I was writing.
- Under consideration; currently being dealt with or addressed. [from 14th c.]
- Under control. [from 18th c.]
- You need to get this situation in hand, and fast.
- (snooker, billiards, pool) Of the cue ball: not on the table; able to be positioned by the current player. [from 19th c.]
- (sports, chiefly UK) Still to be played. [from 19th c.]
- hand in