Variant of bud
- a small swelling or projection on a plant, from which a shoot, cluster of leaves, or flower develops
- a partly opened flower
- any undeveloped or immature person or thing
- an asexually produced swelling or growth on the body of a sponge, fungus, etc. that develops into a new individual
Origin: ME budde, bud, seedpod < IE base *bheu-: see big
- to put forth buds
- to begin to develop
- to be young, promising, etc.
Origin: < budthe
- to put forth as a bud or buds
- to cause to bud
- to insert (a bud of a plant) into the bark of another plant
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.