- an act or instance of immigrating
- the number of immigrants entering a country or region during a specified period
- An example of immigration is relocating permanently from Mexico to the United States.
- An example of immigration is the area in the airport where you have to show your passport to re-enter the country.
Immigration is defined as the process of relocating permanently to a foreign country or the area in an airport or at the border where officials check the entry permits and documentation of people who are coming into a country.
- The action or process of immigrating.
- The place where authorities check the documents of people entering a country.
immigration - Legal Definition
The act of entering a country with the intention of remaining there permanently.
- The immigration of Jews from Russia was mainly responsible for the ineffective yet oppressive Aliens Act of 1905.
- The introduction of European immigrants dates from 1818 when a Swiss colony was located at Nova Friburgo, near Rio de Janeiro, and it was continued under the direction and with the aid of the imperial government down to the creation of the republic. Since then the state governments have assumed charge of immigration, and some of them are spending large sums in the acquisition of labourers.
- Owing to the inadequate supply of labour two important immigration leagues of business men were formed in 1904 and 1905, and in 1907 the state government began officially to attempt to secure desirable foreign immigration, sending agents abroad to foster it.
- During the great migrations in Asia from east to west many populations were probably driven to the northern borders of the great plateau and thence compelled to descend into Siberia; succeeding waves of immigration forced them still farther towards the barren grounds of the north, where they melted away.
- The basis of the population is Canadian, and the immigration has been chiefly from (I) the British Isles, (2) United States, (3) continent of Europe (chiefly Austria, Hungary and Russia).