Variant of illuminate
- to give light to; light up
- to brighten; animate
- to make clear; explain; elucidate
- to inform; instruct; enlighten
- to make illustrious, glorious, or famous
- to decorate with lights
- to decorate (an initial letter or word) with designs, tracings, etc. of gold, silver, or bright colors
- to decorate (a manuscript, page border, etc.) with such initial letters, miniature pictures, etc.
Origin: from Classical Latin illuminatus, past participle of illuminare, to light up from in-, inch(es) plush luminare, to light from lumen (gen. luminis), a light from Indo-European an unverified form leuksmen from base an unverified form leuk-: see illustrate
- make bright with light
- enlightened in mind or spirit
- illuminable adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.