- Of or pertaining to a religious icon.
- Of or pertaining to a secular person or topic that has attained cult status.
Variant of iconography
- the art of representing or illustrating by pictures, figures, images, etc.
- the study of symbols, themes, and subject matter in the visual arts through the identification, description, classification, and definition of these elements
- pl. iconographies icons collectively; esp., any system, use, or collection of symbols or images of a particular artist, artistic or historical period, religious tradition, etc.: Hindu iconography, the iconography of Blake
Origin of iconographyMedieval Latin iconographia ; from Classical Greek eikonographia, a sketch, description: see icono- and amp; -graphy