- Humanity describes the entire human race or the characteristics that belong uniquely to human beings, such as kindness, mercy and sympathy.
An example of humanities is what someone studying literature at college would say their degree is in.
Variant of humanity
- the fact or quality of being human; human nature
- human qualities or characteristics, esp. those considered desirable
- the human race; mankind; people
- the fact or quality of being humane; kindness, mercy, sympathy, etc.
Origin of humanityMiddle English humanite ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin humanitas
- languages and literature, esp. the classical Greek and Latin
- the branches of learning concerned with human thought and relations, as distinguished from the sciences; esp., literature, philosophy, history, etc.