- Humanity describes the entire human race or the characteristics that belong uniquely to human beings, such as kindness, mercy and sympathy.
An example of humanities is what someone studying literature at college would say their degree is in.
One of the main branches of learning. A scholar of the humanities studies history, literature, the fine arts, and philosophy.
Variant of humanity
- the fact or quality of being human; human nature
- human qualities or characteristics, esp. those considered desirable
- the human race; mankind; people
- the fact or quality of being humane; kindness, mercy, sympathy, etc.
Origin: Middle English humanite from Old French from Classical Latin humanitas
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.