- The definition of a housewife is a married woman whose job it is to stay home and care for the house, her husband and sometimes the children.
A woman who stays home, keeps her house, cooks, cleans and takes care of her children is an example of a housewife.
A modern housewife.
- a woman, esp. a married woman, whose principal occupation is managing a household and taking care of domestic affairs
- a small sewing kit
Origin of housewifeMiddle English houswif, huswif
- A married woman who manages the household as her main occupation and whose spouse usually earns the family income.
- A small container for needles, thread, and other sewing equipment.
Origin of housewifeMiddle English houswif : hous, house; see House + wif, wife; see wife.
(third-person singular simple present housewifes, present participle housewifing, simple past and past participle housewifed)
- Alternative form of housewive.