A hothouse in a gardenLicensed from iStockPhoto
- grown in a hothouse
- needing very careful treatment; delicate
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A heated greenhouse for plants that require an even, relatively warm temperature.
- An environment conducive to vigorous growth or development; a hotbed: “With its mix of African, Latin, European, and pan-American influences, the Caribbean is truly a musical hothouse” (New Yorker).
- Grown in a hothouse: a hothouse orchid.
- Delicate and sensitive, as if from being grown in a hothouse.