A hothouse in a garden
hothouse definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
a building made mainly of glass, artificially heated for growing plants; greenhouse
- grown in a hothouse
- needing very careful treatment; delicate
hothouse definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A heated greenhouse for plants that require an even, relatively warm temperature.
- An environment conducive to vigorous growth or development; a hotbed: “With its mix of African, Latin, European, and pan-American influences, the Caribbean is truly a musical hothouse” (New Yorker).
- Grown in a hothouse: a hothouse orchid.
- Delicate and sensitive, as if from being grown in a hothouse.
To cultivate in a hothouse.