- The definition of horticulture is the art or practice of gardening and cultivating plants and trees.
When you grow lilac bushes and orchids, this is an example of horticulture.
horticulture definition by Webster's New World
Origin: ; from Classical Latin hortus, a garden (; from Indo-European base an unverified form ĝher-, to enclose from source Classical Greek chortos, farmyard, Welsh garth, fold) plush cultura: see culture
horticulture definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The science or art of cultivating fruits, vegetables, flowers, or ornamental plants.
- The cultivation of a garden.
Origin: Latin hortus, garden; see gher-1 in Indo-European roots + (agri)culture.
- horˌti·culˈtur·al adjective
- horˌti·culˈtur·al·ly adverb
- horˌti·culˈtur·ist noun
horticulture - Cultural Definition
The science of cultivating garden plants.