- The definition of horticulture is the art or practice of gardening and cultivating plants and trees.
When you grow lilac bushes and orchids, this is an example of horticulture.
Origin: from Classical Latin hortus, a garden (from Indo-European base an unverified form ĝher-, to enclose from source Glassical Greek chortos, farmyard, Welsh garth, fold) plush cultura: see culture
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The science or art of cultivating fruits, vegetables, flowers, or ornamental plants.
- The cultivation of a garden.
Origin: Latin hortus, garden; see gher-1 in Indo-European roots + (agri)culture.
- horˌti·culˈtur·al adjective
- horˌti·culˈtur·al·ly adverb
- horˌti·culˈtur·ist noun
horticulture - Cultural Definition
The science of cultivating garden plants.