horehound definition by Webster's New World
- a bitter herb (Marrubium vulgare) of the mint family, with white, downy leaves
- a bitter juice extracted from its leaves, stem, or flowers and used in medicines and confections
- cough medicine or candy made with this juice
- any of various other mints
Origin: Middle English horehune ; from Old English harhune ; from har, white, hoar plush hune, horehound
horehound definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. An aromatic Eurasian plant (Marrubium vulgare) in the mint family, having square stems, opposite leaves with white pubescence, and numerous white flowers in axillary cymes. The leaves yield a bitter extract used in flavoring and as a cough remedy.b. A candy or preparation flavored with this extract.
- Any of similar or related plants, such as the black horehound.
Origin: Middle English, alteration (influenced by hound, hound) of horhune, from Old English hārehūne : hār, hoary + hūne, a kind of plant.
horehound - Medical Definition
- An aromatic Eurasian plant whose leaves yield a bitter extract that is used as a cough remedy.
- A candy or preparation flavored with this extract.