- the arrangement and connection of parts, circuits, etc. in a radio, telephone system, network of radio stations, etc.
- a connection, as for water or electricity, in a trailer park or campsite
- Informal an agreement or alliance, as between two governments, parties, companies, etc.
- Informal a meeting, get-together, etc.
- Slang a brief or casual sexual encounter
Origin of hookuphook + up
- A system or network of electrical circuits or equipment designed to operate together.
- a. A configuration of mechanical parts or devices providing a link between a supply source and a user: a gas hookup for a mobile home.b. A plan or schematic drawing of such a system or such a configuration.
- Informal A linkage or connection, often between unlikely associates or factors.
- Informal a. An act of casual sex.b. A partner in an act of casual sex.
- For the purpose of connecting.
- I need to buy some hookup wire.
- A connection.
- The plumber came to fix the sewer hookup.
- A brief sexual relationship or encounter; a fling.
- "The latter participant, for instance, met his two most recent partners at bars, and expressed strong ambivalence and dislike of meeting partners online, but reported half a dozen additional hookups with partners met online."
- A sexual partner
- "As a webmaster, yeah, I would have to say that the predominant way of finding a hookup or sexual partner would be going online."