A city of southwest Massachusetts on the Connecticut River north of Springfield. Following the completion of a dam in 1849, it became a major manufacturing center specializing in paper products.x
- The village of South Hadley, or the Center, lies at the south base of Mount Holyoke, about 4 m.
- From Holyoke and about 3 m.
- From South Hadley Falls; it is the seat of Mount Holyoke College.
- South Hadley Falls are connected with Holyoke by a bridge across the Connecticut river.
- It is served by the Boston & Maine and the Central Vermont railways, and by interurban electric railways to Northampton, Holyoke, Sunderland and Pelham.