- a lively, rollicking dance, often a square dance
- music for this
- a party at which hoedowns are danced
Origin of hoedownprobably of black origin, originally ; associated, association with breakdown, sense
- A square dance.
- The music for a square dance.
- A social gathering at which square dancing takes place.
- A type of American folk or square dance.
- John and Susie went to the square dance and did the hoedown.
- The type of music typically played for such a dance
- A gathering at which such dances take place.
- We have to get to the hoedown before noon, or we'll be late.
(third-person singular simple present hoedowns, present participle hoedowning, simple past and past participle hoedowned)
- To dance a hoedown dance